At the vision of the first five films of Phase 4 of the Marvel universe, a question burns the lips: is there still a guideline in the MCU? Where are Shang-Chi, The Eternals and Doctor Strange 2 taking us? Attempt to explain.
The following spoils the events since the start of Phase 4 Marvel, from the release of WandaVision to that of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Read on if you’re up to date with all the MCU releases.
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is in theaters now, and the film introduces us to a new superhero, America Chavez, who has a story all her own in the comics. Moreover, if she learns to master her powers linked to the multiverse, we also see her training at Kamar-Taj, a place specially dedicated to magicians.
Therefore, it is not impossible to imagine that by mastering the passage to the multiverse and by learning sorcery, America could become a definite asset for the MCU and perhaps even the next Doctor Strange, in the eventuality. where the version played by Benedict Cumberbatch would die or that the actor would decide to abandon the saga.
Once we have said that, one thing is clear: Marvel uses Phase 4 of its film universe to introduce new characters who come to replace others who have already left or are fatally about to leave after years of loyal service in the MCU. Past or future films and series already offer us:
– A new Doctor Strange: America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez).
– A new Hulk: She-Hulk (Tatiana Maslany).
– A new Hawkeye: Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld).
– A new Black Widow: Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh).
– A new Captain Marvel: Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani).
– A new Ant-Man: Cassie Lang (Kathryn Newton), who later becomes Stature in the comics. She’s Scott Lang’s daughter and she could really be featured in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023).
– A new Iron Man: Riri Williams (Dominique Thorne, in an upcoming series and Black Panther 2).
– A new Thor? Without having seen Thor Love And Thunder it is still too early to tell, but Natalie Portman could take on the role and the version of Hemsworth, who suffered a lot of drama in the last films, could withdraw.
This next team of Avengers is on track to form the Young Avengers (a relatively young team of superheroes), led by a few veterans like Captain America, played by Anthony Mackie from the Falcon series and the Winter Soldier, Clint Barton or Bruce Banner, awaiting retirement or death in an adventure.
Note that the entire Young Avengers group is made up of women, unlike the 2012 Avengers team, which was, with one exception, 100% male. A rather strong symbolic act on the part of Marvel, which wishes to change this image.
However, there are still a few old ones…
– Natalie Portman could alternate the role of Thor with Chris Hemsworth, which would allow these two actors to carry out their other projects in parallel.
– Brie Larson (Captain Marvel, Busy in the Cosmos) and the interpreter of the new Black Panther (busy in Wakanda) may only be there intermittently.
– War Machine and Nick Fury: former relatives of Tony Stark, the Secret Invasion series will tell us whether or not they will survive the invasion of Earth by the Skrulls.
– Ant-Man and the Wasp, like Hawkeye and Laura Barton, have a family life they can choose to prioritize and set aside. Will they?
– The Winter Soldier: No one knows what future the character has in the MCU, except that his connection with Sam Wilson in Falcon and the Winter Soldier indicates that we will surely know more in Captain America 4, currently in development.
– Scarlett Witch: in the comics, her children are members of the Young Avengers (Wiccan and Speed) but they currently only exist in her mind. Will the multiverse allow him to adopt the children of a deceased Scarlet Witch in another universe? How will she return from the events of Doctor Strange 2?
– Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr Strange), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk) and/or Tom Holland (Spider-Man) could serve as the leader of the team.
…And some “outsiders”:
– Loki: the god of mischief seems confined to his “multiversian” adventures linked to variants and chronologies.
– Moon Knight (Oscar Isaac): the first season ended without any concrete link with characters already established in the saga. To be continued.
– Those we haven’t seen yet but are announced: Blade, the Dark Knight, the Fantastic Four, Deadpool, the X-Men.
A new team, but to tell what?
With the gradual arrival of these young heroes and the occupation of older heroes on other themes, Phase 4 is patiently preparing Kang’s arc in the Young Avengers comics. Indeed, after several confrontations against the Avengers and his defeat against Captain America, this formidable adversary (already seen in Loki in the guise of Jonathan Majors) decides to go and see his past self in order to make him a conqueror.
Kang shares his plans with him, but the teenager gets scared, steals a very powerful armor to protect himself and goes to find refuge with the Avengers, except that they are disbanded (see the comics Avengers: The Separation). Ant-Man and Hawkeye are dead (well, well) and the few remaining heroes decide to disband the hero group. The teenager, whom we will nickname Iron Lad, then finds a new team, the Young Avengers and together they manage to defeat Kang.
But Kang is not dead and is recruiting terrible allies throughout the multiverse in order to defeat the superheroes of Earth 616. It is unknown if the arc prepared by Kevin Feige will go that far, but knowing that it is currently at the Green light to prepare for the next ten years of the MCU, it is possible.
It would also explain the fact that Phase 4, of which we’ve already seen half of the planned films, lacks a big bad guy and an upcoming threat so far. Marvel is preparing the ground, introducing new characters and setting things up for a Phase 5, which should kill a lot of “oldies” and offer the epic aspect that fans have been waiting for for a few films already.
In the meantime, find out more about the multiverse by going to see Doctor Strange 2, in theaters now:
We would like to give thanks to the author of this article for this amazing material
Marvel: multiverse, Kang, but where is Phase 4 going?
We have our social media profiles here , as well as additional related pages here.https://nimblespirit.com/related-pages/